The pre-operative appointment is scheduled once the surgeon has decided, with the patient, on outpatient or short-stay surgery.
What is outpatient or short-stay surgery ?
Outpatient and short-stay surgery require only a short stay at the Clinic not exceeding two days. Short stays are now possible thanks to advances in surgical and anesthetic techniques, improvements in hospital structures, as well as the necessary work of informing patients beforehand, and are encouraged by scientific societies and health organizations.
What are the advantages of this type of hospitalization ?
- Quicker return home and therefore greater comfort
- Decrease in stress caused by a long stay in hospital
- Stimulation of patient independence: playing an active role in the care plan drives convalescence – Better overall satisfaction
- Lower risk of nosocomial infection
- Decrease in cost for Social Security
Why is a pre-operative appointment necessary ?
The appointment is scheduled within the context of outpatient or short-stay surgery when the surgeon, together with the patient, decides that an operation is necessary. As mentioned previously, the patient only spends two days at the Clinic or just one day as an outpatient so those involved (physiotherapist, nurses, secretaries) have less time on-site to present all the information relating to the return home and post-operative procedures, hence the necessity for this appointment.
What are the benefits of this consultation ?
The aim of this appointment is to :
- spend the time necessary to learn about what happens post-op
- check all the compulsory documents
- explain the logistics of the hospitalization and the post-op appointment
- answer any questions you may have
It is important for the outcome of the operation that you are familiar with the hospitalization, the operation, and the post-op procedures.
When and where does this consultation take place ?
The consultation is conducted by Dr. Paillard’s team (secretary, nurse, and physiotherapist) at the Trocadéro office on:
- Tuesdays from 6 p.m. to 7.30 p.m.
- Fridays from 2 p.m. to 3.30 p.m.